Exemplory instance of comparison essay in theory of literature: the essential difference between classicism and sentimentalism
Literature is a particular type of art that helps to know the present-day history also to understand how the main tendencies of social development in past times were formed.
Write about formation of designs at the start of essay
The looks of classicism, which developed in Western European culture at the end of the seventeenth century, determined the ideological content of literary works, the strict system of poetic rules plus the maxims of plot construction, reflecting the thought of orderliness and perfection for the universe, nature and society.
The “sensitive” literature of sentimentalism that emerged in the last half of this eighteenth century was meant to teach and educate on examples and pictures that can cause empathy, which awakens high feelings, guided by the proven fact that all evil could be overcome.
Within our literary works up to the beginning of the XIX century, classicism and sentimentalism developed, complementing one another and pursuing the exact same goal: in order to make society perfect, by affirming the logical principles of morality therefore the rules of human behavior. Techniques to achieve this goal within the philosophy of classicism had been understood to be the assertion associated with the supremacy of order, form, hierarchy and were centered on a definite division of artistic styles and genres. The theorists of classicism paid unique attention to drama and poetry. Epic poems and tragedies where the basis of the plot has become important historic events, and actors – the gods and strongest of the globe, demanded a lofty poetic eassy checker composition, ruled spatial turns. They certainly were attributed to the “high” genre.
The spoken language and stylistically lowered pictures could only be present in satires, fables and comedies, which fixed this is of “low” genres. Obligatory observance regarding the unity of the time, place, action and guidelines of constructing tragedy and drama with exposure, zygote, development of action, culmination and resolution limited the chance of stage-based discovery of images, but emphasized the inviolability of order, the bond of cause and impact, quality expression for the main idea of the job. Sentimentalism allowed more freely to utilize the method of creative expression. Attention to household details, a description of psychological experiences, the image associated with the internal realm of guy along with his closeness to nature demanded and new literary forms. The epistolary genre, sentimental novel, travel records come in the literature. The growth of sentimentalism greatly expanded the number of choices of artistic prose and managed to get more democratic: the eye of both article writers and readers was the fate of a typical individual, clear, close, causing interest and compassion.
To conclude of essay give brief comparison of styles
Thus, the difference between classicism and sentimentalism is as follows:
- The subject of the image within the works of classicism are essential, meaningful occasions that determine the fate of someone who is obliged to obey the established purchase while the determined length of events.
- Within the center of attention of authors – sentimentalists – the inner realm of heroes, with the capacity of deeply feel and experience.
- Classicism is a literary trend when the basis associated with the artistic method may be the division of works into “high”, “medium” and “low” genres.
- Sentimentalism won’t have such a division, because its task would be to educate the senses, using many visual method for this purpose.
- The primary genres of classicism are the epic poem, tragedy, ode, drama, heroic tale, comedy, satire and fable.
- Genres characteristic of sentimentalism are really a novel, letters, diaries, travel records.
- Classicalism argued educational a few ideas on the basis of the subordination of personal feelings of debt to society.
- Representatives of sentimentalism considered the inner world of heroes as a harmonious whole.
- They thought that educating a single individual, you are able to increase the whole society.